Breathe down into your diaphragm, this is known as “full breathing” and you will need to practice doing this on a regular basis so that you don’t have to “think” about breathing while rapping which may hinder you in the moment.
This is an exercise called the Full Yogic Breath:
- Sit up straight and strengthen you’re spine.
- Widen your shoulders and let them relax down.
- You can put one hand on you’re abdomen and one on your chest. (To feel the air)
- Breath into your abdomen (for 4 counts)
- Breathe into your rib cage, allow your rib cage to widen, (for 2 counts).
- Breath into your chest, (for 2 counts).
Then reverse the whole process to exhale:
- Exhale from the chest and rib cage, (for 6 counts).
- Exhale from abdomen, (for 2 counts).
I found this exercise on YouTube but there are many more you can find and work with.
Also the simple fact of just knowing your raps well enough to know where you will be able to sneak in a breathe of air should help.
Enhanced Cardiovascular Endurance = Enhanced Lung Capacity
Exercise will enhance your lung capacity.
I exercise on a regular basis but it used to be difficult for me to muster up the motivation… all you can do here is try to make it fun for you.
- Play a sport
Don’t forget to warm up and stretch, there really are no excuses though guys!
You can also try High Intensity Interval Training aka HIIT exercise.
This is where you go really hard for a short period of time and then slow it down for another short period of time.
You can find HIIT trainers on YouTube to follow along with, if you have bad knees try a HIIT work out on the elliptical.
Garlic, Yes, I Said Garlic
This method is so strong it’s even used to treat upper respiratory problems and research shows it can help prevent lung cancer here are a few ways to go about this:
- Before bed, put a crushed clove of garlic into a glass of water and drink.
- Add garlic to your chicken soup (or any soup really), also the more vegetables you add to the soup the better.
- This will help decrease any inflammation in the upper respiratory system.
- Boiling garlic defeats the purpose so add it before serving, don’t cook it.
- You can also add it to bread, salads and vegetables.
Other foods to cleanse your lungs include:
Green tea, citruis fruits, berries, foods containing omega-3 fatty acids, kale, carrots and tomatoes (which also help prevent breast cancer in men), cabbage, broccoli, vitamin C, and ginger.
And, believe it or not… Water.
Water helps with inflammation and dehydration may cause an increase risk for asthma and bronchitis.
If You’re Truly Serious About Your Rap Game, Check Out These Sick Beats ==> Here
If you have a special technique you use to breath while you rap make sure you share with the community below, I’m always on the look out for new comments.
If you probably didn’t guess it already I am not a doctor so know yourself and consult a medical professional before starting a new routine into your daily life.